Monday, November 7, 2011

I starting this blog because I like to talk a lot and I wanted to share my experiences with strangers

TrainRex is a blog completely devoted to the art of traveling. To be more specific, its a how-to blog on how to travel while your young and don't really give a shit about where your staying or doing as long as its fun and safe...well, relatively so.


This blog is sort of meant to show you how to understand a city for what it is. This includes day time and night time shit. My best advice is to just stay awake the whole time. Especially if you are there for only a few days or even 1 day. You can sleep on the train or when you're dead


Just to make things clear, this isn't necessarily a blog about partying. Don't get me wrong, its like my favorite past time. But going to a country just to party is a lot like getting a burger and skipping out the patty because you are a vegetarian. (btw my old roommate used to do this). What i'm trying to say is that if you skip the galleries, the museums, churches, parks, the old shit, the new shit, etc etc you are missing the juiciest meat of the entire city. If you really want to experience the culture and beauty of a city, you gotta give it a chance to show you what its like in the day time


Point is, I got really fucking tired of seeing travel show after travel show directed towards adults and not towards poor, restless young folk such as myself. This is what I was thinking at the time: I'm not 64, recently widowed and/or travelling to Russia/Thailand/Whatever to find a new wife. I'm not in my mid-30's looking for a decent summer home in Boca that I can share with my fiance. I'm 21. I'm single. And I gotta GTFO...NOW


In 2010 I applied through my college to participate in NYU Florence. As of right now, I am staying in the center of what is considered the Renaissance capital of the world. As much as I love it here, I knew I needed a little bit of exploration. So I went and bought myself a eurorail global pass and decided I was going everywhere I possibly could. Needless to say, I'm ridiculously fortunate, even blessed if you still believe in that kind of thing. Why? Because every morning, when I wake up to the sun outside my train window facing a city unfamiliar, I get to be the lucky american bastard that gets to remind myself that this isn't a dream...its my fucking life.   

No comments:

Post a Comment